Problems trying to install Debian

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade from linux kernel 1.2.1 (Unifix 1.6) to either Debian
or Slackware. I have been persuaded by all this talk about Debian system.
I followed the instructions on making floppies but unfortunately the process
stops after reading the boot disk with the error message:

I do not understand why the error? Any help will be appreciated. Secondly
I have a Brother HL630 laser printer with Laserjet IIp emulation but it cuts
corners of poscript files anyone have a idea of what to do?