Re: Emacs on console: keys not responding

Peta Harlan wrote:
> Distributions ought to be repaired so all meaningful Meta key
> sequences work at the console, I think.  (For that matter, Shift-Tab
> shouldn't be the same as Tab, but maybe that's been done.)

There are two different problems here:

1. The current keytables that i 'inherited' from the upstream maintainer
   of the kbd package are undocumented and incurrate, sometimes plain wrong.

2. The Linux kernel code for the VC's has to be called 'buggy' at best. Eg
   backtab (= Shift-Tab) is not implemented and the claim to be VT102
   compatible is 'vaporware'.  The Unicode extension has done more harm then
   good.

I have started to work on both ends of the problem but due to my current
workload i did not get very far:

* I rewrote most the keytables from scratch, but they are untested and
  most likely incomplete, thus not yet released.

* I started to write a VC code replacement based upon the VT330/340
  programmers manual and the VT220 implementation in the *BSD kernels.
  This project got canceled because i underestimated the amount of work
  involved - i am already too busy right now.

If someone is interested in testing the new keytables and give me feedback:

  http://www.uni-mainz.de/~kubla/Software/keytables.tar.gz              (WWW)
  file://afs/zdv.uni-mainz.de/homes/UFO/kubla/Software/keytables.tar.gz (AFS)

The following keymaps are available:

  Map name	Language (country)		Font encoding
  da.map	Danish				ISO-8859-1
  de_CH.map	German (Switzerland)		ISO-8859-1
  de_DE.map	German (Germany)		ISO-8859-1
  en_UK.map	English (United Kingdom)	ISO-8859-1
  en_US.map	English (United States)		ISO-8859-1
  es.map	Spanish				ISO-8859-1
  fi.map	Finnish (identical to sv.map)	ISO-8859-1
  fr_BE.map	French (Belgium)		ISO-8859-1
  fr_CA.map	French (Canada)			ISO-8859-1
  fr_FR.map	French (France)			ISO-8859-1
  hu.map	Hungarian			ISO-8859-2
  it_IT.map	Italian (Italy)			ISO-8859-1
  nl.map	Dutch				ISO-8859-1
  no.map	Norwegian			ISO-8859-1
  pt.map	Portuguese			ISO-8859-1
  sl.map	Slovenian			ISO-8859-2
  sv.map	Swedish (identical to fi.map)	ISO-8859-1

BTW. I have put all my packages up for grabs to reduce my workload,
     anyone stupid - oops - idealistic enough to clean up the kbb package
     may raise his/her hand.

Dominik Kubla
kbd maintainer