Mouse problems

Honestly, I'll end up getting a serial adapter for the mouse if
I can't get it working, but I was hoping not to have to.  I own a
Dell Dimension XPS P90 system, with a Logitech mouse.  I'm honestly
not sure whether it is a bus mouse or a PS/2 mouse, but when
Windows 95 autodetects it, it registers as a PS/2 type mouse, using
IRQ 12.
    I'm trying to get the mouse working with gpm and X-Windows.
I installed Debian Linux yesterday through ftp, so none of the
software is outdated.  I've tried every mouse device and mouse
type combination I could find..  Devices included:

/dev/psaux
/dev/cua0
/dev/ttyS0
/dev/msmouse
/dev/logibm

    They all didn't work.  X-Windows would abort due to the mouse
driver failing to load, except for /dev/cua0.  It loaded fine, but
the cursor wouldn't respond at all to the mouse.  I'm not sure
what to try next to get gpm or X11 working, and I figured this is
a good place to ask.
--
Scott Danzig