sound blaster or GUS

     Hello all...

        The FHF has struck again...

     Someone has dropped off a sound blaster card on my desk, and I'm about
     to install it in my debian box. It is an original Creative labs Sound
     blaster. oh yeah - speakers and a microphone also.

     ------

     The problem is: (my ignorance)

        I have never used any type of sound card in any type of machine
     and/or operating system. (winblowz, slackware, debian...)

        So...  I could use some guidance as to how to configure and test
     it. In addition I would like to know what my software options are when
     it comes to using it with the debian OS. Pardon my ignorance I just
     have no clue what this thing-a-ma-bob is good for. Maybe an X11 gui
     cdrom player ??? i dunno...

     Oh yeah - actually the Free Hardware Fairy gave me two sound cards.
     The other one is a Gravis Ultra Sound - it's neat, the circuit board
     is red!

     Based on the color (or technology) of the card, should I consider
     using the Gravis U.S. instead of the Sound bastard???

     Thanx in advance ...
     Any help is greatly appreciated.