ncurses problems

Has anyone else out there had trouble with ncurses?  I've now run across at
least four separate failures, all related to using ncurses instead of
termcap:

1) When building NEURON (big hairy biophysical simulation system), the build
fails because some symbols are the same in NEURON and ncurses.  Despite the
fact that they have different types (in C++), the linker links to the wrong
symbols, causing a segmentation fault.  Switching to termcap makes the problem
disappear.

2) In GENESIS 2.0 (another biophysical sim), the build goes ok, but the
program bombs when you try to execute regular shell commands from the command
line.  Again, switching to termcap fixes things.

3) diald-top, a monitoring program for diald, bombs with a segmentation fault,
and it looks suspiciously like it might be down in ncurses code when this
happens.  I haven't yet tried switching to termcap to see if that helps.

4) If you do a custom build of XFree86 (for the beta version), xterm bombs if
you use ncurses instead of termcap.

I have heard of a couple of other Debian users having similar ncurses
problems, but I've never heard of anyone having trouble with ncurses in other
distributions.

Any info?

-Randy
--
http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~gobbel/

NOTICE: I DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL EMAIL MESSAGES OF ANY KIND.  I
CONSIDER SUCH MESSAGES PERSONAL HARRASSMENT AND A GROSS INVASION OF MY
PRIVACY.  By sending unsolicited commercial advertising/solicitations (or