Re: DNS, Sendmail, or Smail

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 ttrimble@Win95.tdhs.com wrote:

> I know I'm very new to Linux, and there is quite a bit I haven't
> caught on to yet.  But, I have a problem that just isn't getting any
> better.  I have Debian 1.1 loaded, running kernel 2.0.6.  The machine
> I'm working in is not directly connected to the Internet, but does
> have a tcp/ip connection to a mail server that is connected.  I loaded
        <snip>
    Is the machine your connected to runnning a DNS server or is it using
annother server out on the net?

> 3. Is there a way to set-up named to work as a local DNS only ?

        You could run a small caching only DNS server on the machine that
IS connected to the net.  It's a very easy thing to do (as long as you
have root).  Then you could tell your Debian box that it's DNS server is
the mail server that's connected to the net.  That or just put the
hostnames you need translated into IP addresses into the /etc/hosts file.
If you need help on setting up a caching only DNS server you can check out
the howto index at http://www.ssc.com/linux  and if all else fails send me
some email and I'll give you a hand.

                                                l8trz,
                                                        mike...