Re: less displays help when invoked on an empty file

> The subject says everything: When I less an empty file (length 0), it
> comes up with the help screen. I'm using less_321-1 and call less without
> any command line options or any env variables.
>
> Does someone has a hint how to avoid this? Is this a less or a Debian bug
> or did I make a mistake?

I reported it as a bug (#4178), but never got a reply from the maintainer.
I've only seen less behave in this way on debian systems, and it is
infuriating the first 10 or 20 times it happens, until you get used to it.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -i\$q='$q',\$p='$p';eval\$q.\$\^I\n"#  #  jeh22@cornell.edu
$q='print"$p$^I\n',$p='#!/usr/bin/perl -i';eval$q.$^I  #          Joey Hess