where is compress ?

Hello all,

  I'm trying to compile a X-Window program which provides a new set of fonts.
To generate its fonts, it uses the following command (approximately ;) ):

bdftopcf machin.bdf | compress > machin.pcf.Z

But I don't have compress on my Linux box.
I tried moving to gzip without success because mkfontdir doesn't handle gzip
format :-( Therefore I need compress!
Is there any Debian package I can install that includes it ?

Thanks in advance.