Re: Custom installation boot disks?

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, the generic kernel will install on a 2940. It's the
> AIC7XXX series of chips, and aic7xxx.o is built into the generic kernel.

It does.  I was at the office and had the generic disk set with me.  Said
'what the heck' and found it works.

> It's always best from a performance standpoint to create your own custom
> kernel.

I always do.  However, after installing, I found that the 'ne' module
would hang the system when trying to find my PCI card (io=0x6200).  Since
the kernel installation package does not come on my CD (Infomagic Linux
Developer's Resource, 9/96 Debian 1.1.4), I had to recompile the kernel
the old way, but with NE2000 support built in.  That works fine.

Now that I have my network back, I can ftp the modules needed.

Thanks to all for their help.