Custom installation boot disks?

I need to create a custom installation boot disk to install Debian on a
system at work.  This is a custom server, with a SCSI main drive on an
Adaptec 2940UW controller.  Once I get the main drive supported and the
base installed, I can finish it from there.

I've heard here that the custom kernels available do not work.  Can they
be made to work, or would creating my own be better?  (I have a working
Debian machine at home.)  Where are the docs hiding to create my own
install boot disks?

Speed is important here; I have to have this machine operational by
Thursday morning.

--
         | Technical Support Engineer, Cyclades Corporation  |