Re: modules.tgz in buzz-fixed/.../special-kernels/boot1440*.bin are corrupt

Martin Stromberg wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Yesterday I tried to install a buzz-fixed system. As the disk I wanted to
> install onto, was a SCSI disk connected to a ncr810, I had to use one of
> the special kernels - number 5 in buzz-fixed/.../disks-i386/special-kernels.
>
> At the time of the part of installation where the kernel is installed I got
> an error saying something of type of "error in archive".
>
> Some half hour of checking later I had found out that the modules.tgz files
> on all of the special kernels (.../special-kernels/boot1440_2.0.5-?.bin)
> are corrupt.
> This was done by doing "dd if=boot1440_2.0.5-5.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=18k
> mcopy a:modules.tgz .
> tar -zvvtpf modules.tgz", where this last step results in an error message
> saying "premature end of file".
>
> The boot1440_2.0.5-?.bin files was fetched from a mirror, so be really
> sure that I had the latest (and greatest) files I did this check on
> boot1440_2.0.5-3.bin and boot1440_2.0.5-5.bin from the same directory on
> ftp.debian.org as well.
> Same error on those as well.
>
> This is not a cry for help. I managed to install anyway by un-taring (getting
> the error) and then re-taring the files that was extracted. This lead to
> some interesting choices when selecting modules, such as a module "*"!
>
> However I think we should correct the erroneous files.
>
> I know that there has been some other messages regarding this, especially one
> where somebody asked for a better specification of the problem, but I've
> deleted those messages so I dont know who it was that was asking that.
> Please contact me if you want more information.
>
> Debug mode,

                                               MartinS

This bug still hanging around? Heck I posted a message almost identical
to yours about a month ago. Maybe we should have directed it to the
maintainer of the special kernel boot disks.  I am at work right now
and don't have immediate access to the Packages file. If the maintainer
is reading this please respond.

Steve
--

               Steve Millard       Harrisburg, Pa.     USA
               It ain't what you don't know that hurts you,