Re: kernel-package

Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:

>   Marcus Hightower writes:
>   Marcus>  Does anybody know where I can find this as86 thing.
>
> See the Debian FAQ (from the doc-debian package, or the ftp site)
>
>   7.4.  How can I find out what package produced a particular file?
>
>   To identify the package that produced the file named foo execute
>   either:
>
>   o  dpkg -S filename.
>
>      This searches through the lists of installed files.  This is
>      (currently) equivalent to searching all of the files having the
>      file extension of .list in the directory /var/lib/dpkg/info/.
>
>   o  grep foo Contents, or zgrep foo Contents.gz.
>
>      This searches for files which contain the substring foo in their
>      full path names.  The files Contents and Contents.gz reside in the
>      major package directories (Debian-1.1, non-free, contrib, etc.)  at
>      a Debian FTP site. A Contents file refers only to the packages in
>      the subdirectory tree where it resides.  Therefore, a user might
>      have to search more than one Contents files to find the package
>      containing the file foo.
>
> Hence:
>         miles:~ [root] # zgrep as86 /mirror/debian/rex/Contents.gz
>         usr/bin/as86                                                 bin86
> so you have to install the bin86 package.
>
>   Marcus>   Also does the zimage automaticly gets installed when you do a
>   Marcus> make zimage or does it just makes it without installation.
>
> Use the kernel-package from the rex/binary-all/misc directory. It will build
> a .deb file with your kernel and install it all for you (you need to read
> some doc, though).
>
> --
> Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd

I had used make-kpkg to build a debian package of linux 2.0.13 sources
and installed the resulting .deb . Then I found that I had to
reconfigure because my sound card will not work in windows every time I
run Linux and switch back to win 95. I have to run DOS 5.0 to revive the
sound in win 95. Since the IRQs and addresses were different in win 95
I decided to make the sound irqs in win 95 the same as in linux.

Anyway after make config , make-kpkg refuses to run telling me there is
nothing to make. What do I need to do to have make-kpkg rebuild with the
new config ?

Best regards

Chuma