Re: Shouldn't go app-defaults in /etc/X11?

Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@calder.med.miami.edu> writes:
> If you disagree with this, as many seem to, please propose a solution
> whereby package maintainers can easily make sure that app-defaults
> files are updated to reflect any changes introduced in the upstream
> app-defaults file.

Well, couldn't the files in app-defaults be marked as config files
("DEBIAN/conffiles") in the packages? Then dpkg creates checksums of these
files and when a package is updated, it can be replaced (if there were no
changes) or it can ask the user what he wants to do with it (replace,
leave under different name, i.e. add .dpkg-dist extension).

I think all this is done automatically by dpkg now (at least in the
newest revision of dpkg). I've seen this working with a few other
packages, since I upgraded to "unstable" a few days ago.

Cheers,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@debian.org,