kernel compile problem

i everybody.

I want to update my linux kernel to one which can run
ELF format. I get the linux kernel 2.0.18 i think is the newest
version??. when i try to compile i receive a message on the screen
telling me "gcc is to old". Then i get the new gcc version
and when i try ro run it a see a new message "Can't run binary file"
i think this is because the new gcc is on ELF format.
now my question is which gcc (what version ?) or what i have to do
for compile the new kernel.?

thanks

guillermo solis A
TI2SAG