Re: time to split the list?

I'm only subscribed to lists which do not carry more than 10 mails/week.
This way my mailbox keeps mostly interesting stuff which I can oversee.

It is a _must_ to convert high-traffic lists into newsgroups because:

   - one gets overwhelmed by the number of e-mails per day,
   - the disk gets clobbered by the size of the whole bunch (argh, I
     had 5 people sumitted to "debian-users" on my system),

   - newbies are not capable of (or have other problems than) setting
     up e-mail filters to sort the whole junk (hint: gnus is really
     cool),

   - high-traffic often means "general interest" (so why not make it
     more public?),

   - one actually pays for the whole junk to download it via modem,

   - one has to unsubscribe when going on holidays,

On the other hand I see that

   + developers need to communicate more quickly than via news (takes
     up to 4 days)

   + it is much easier to create a mailing-list than a newsgroup

So my suggestions are:

   o Tell the people about the newsgroup "linux.debian.users" as an
     alternative to the mailinglist when confirming their
     subscription.
     Ignoring the technical stuff is a special case of ignoring
     subjects of no personally interest and can be done with most
     news-readers.
     (Yes, you can do this "easily" with mailinglist by using gnus,
      too but thats the exception.)

   o make at least "debian-users-digest" for those people who want to
     keep on with the most interesting things

   o split the mailing-list to keep developers off from
     newbie-questions (they are likely to "waste" their time!) into

         debian-installation
             for questions "not" covered by the installation-manual :-)

         debian-newbies
             for those who have at least reached the login-prompt
             but aren't familiar with the system yet [no technical
             discussion allowed here; even such evil words as "emacs",
             "kernel" and such are strictly forbidden] :-)

         debian-users
             the good old list; for "long-time" debian-users

         debian-towers
             high-level technical discussions

   o make a "debian-all-digest" from all that lists above

-Winfried