Re: Cross posting per request

> Jason,

> On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Glenn Bily wrote:

> >Debian is parse through /etc/X11/window-managers and execute the first
> window manager that it finds (and is >installed).  In a larger
> environment where you have users that prefer one window manager over
> another, a
> >convenient method we use here is to check the user's home directory for
> the existance of a special file and start its >corresponding WM. We
> could merge both the startx and xdm WM startups by simply modifying the
> xinitrc and >Xsession scripts to do the following:

Your idea is sound. I'm opposed to merging XDM and startx too much. XDM
and startx already share too much to some degree. We need to make
considerations that someone running XDM will not necessarily have
choices of window managers before the session begins. It would be a big
plus if Debian did do that :) (and I have a script that does that)
Choices of XDM "security" procedures that may want to be added by root
should be considered too. There may be things done on a XDM login that
shouldn't be done with startx.
As a technicality:
I'd also trade use of /usr/bin/X11 for /usr/X11R6/bin. /usr/bin/X11 is a
symbolic link for backward compatibility.