Debian LInux

I recently installed Debian Linux on my system and have a few questions about
the distribution.

When using dselect, do I have to download from the ftp site, packages or are
they on the install disks ?
The programs that I am interested in are the XFree86, Emacs and Latex
including software to access the net.
All I can seem to find while running Linux is the bash shell and ae . I can
not find any man pages.
I have looked for FAQ`s but have found none pertaining to the info that I
need.

Does the install contain a list of commands for Linux ?

While installing Debian 1.1 when it came to loading and configuring modules
to place in the kernal there where a few things I did not understand .

1. Under Fsystem/smbfs involved a Windows 95 Sharing . What is this ?
2. Under Vfat there was a driver ( I guess ) that you could install  for
Windows 95 long file names under       DOS. What is this ?

Any help regarding this subject matter would be greatly appreciated. I am a
new user in the Linux/UNIX environment and am rather excited about running
the OS.

Mark
Debian 1.1
Root Floppy Built June 16 1996.