Re: Gcc won't compile :-)

Hi Marcus --

You asked:
> Thanks everybody I didn't have the crt*.o in my lib directory. It should
> be in the libc-dev*.deb right?
No, it should be in /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib.
You can see what directory a file will be installed into by looking at
the Contents file associated with the distribution you got.  For example,
if you got the buzz-fixed distribution, then you could use

zgrep crt0.o buzz-fixed/Contents.gz

to see that the crt0.o file is installed in /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib.

> Also another question how do I swich ELF compile to a.out compile?

>From the FAQ:
To compile programs in the a.out binary format,
install the Debian a.out developer's packages, which are
        libc4-dev
        aout-binutils
        aout-librl
        aout-gcc
place the a.out tools ahead of the ELF tools in your path. That is,
execute the command
        export PATH=/usr/i486-linuxaout/bin:$PATH
(This isn't essential, just advantageous.) If you're only going to do
this once, you could execute:
        PATH=/usr/i486-linuxaout/bin:$PATH make [target].

To execute a.out X clients, install the xcompat package.

(As a result of your question, I reorganized the FAQ that dealt with this
so folks would see the answer more easily.)

HTH,
Susan Kleinmann