Re: lilo installation on IDE disk > 500 megabytes

 You only need to copy the kernel image to the DOS partition, for example:

 cp /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.6 ./dos/vmlinuz

 Then when you've booted DOS type (make a batch :-)

 loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro

 Or have alook at the loadlin documentation.

 Some tips for "advanced" use of this boot scheme:

 - You may prefer to name the kernel copied to the DOS partition with a
 more descriptive name, like l960714.std (for the standard kernel image of
 1996-07-14). This will help when trying different kernels (diff configs or
 diff just versions or special kernels or...)

 - You can copy the kernel to a floppy and boot from the floppy with a
 minimal DOS config.sys (to save memory LOADLIN needs).

 - You can make a batch file or for DOS > 6.0 use menus in config.sys
 and/or autoexec.bat to load different kernels or systems with root on
 different partitions (not your case).

 I find this LOADLIN scheme a very flexible one. I find the related DOS
 applications rdev, pfdisk and ext2tools good companions to this DOS
 booting scheme. A DOS readln or readkey utility (or BE ASK in NORTON UTIL)
 is also handy for creating extremely configurable DOS bat files to manage
 the most complex scenarios you can imagine.
 Misc: This is the only method I found to boot linux on Compaq with PCI on
 board as linux need to relocates the PCI services through a DOS driver
 provided by COMPAQ. Syslinux or LILO cannot make linux see the PCI chips
 (Linus Torvald said).

 Disclaimer: LILO is very good,... this is just an alternative.

 Lazaro
 <salem@rf.no>

 P.S. I could send you a copy of my setup if you want.