Re: Cannot compile mouse support - help!

Hi jj,
You are lucky! we must be the only Debian Linux users with the same mouse
and graphic card on this planet :-). From reading your mail it seems you have
gone all the way through it... Oooops!!! Wait a minute. Try:

   #  gpm -t 'bm' -m  /dev/inportbm

Remember from the busmouse HOWTO: one thing is the protocol (busmouse)
and the other the hardware interface or device driver (/dev/inportbm)

For me it worked "out of the box". Well, you already know... after recompiling
as you did. I have choosen busmouse compiled in, but it should work as a a
module too.  I prefer to see that the "...mouse is detected"  when running
dmesg. The only difference between your setup and mine is the interrupt
which I have on IRQ=5 (I thought it was the default for this mouse!).
But maybe you don't want that because of conflicts... Anyway, this is just
to give you some hope: busmouse (inportbm) on IRQ5 + ATI Ultra works fine
for somebody else.

Just a comment I find useful to minimize the changes when switching mice
(serial <-> busmouse). I don't use the real device names
(ttySn or inportbm) but a link to them via:
# (cd /dev ; ln -sf inportbm mouse)
or
# (cd /dev ; ln -sf ttyS0 mouse)

and start both gmp (look at /etc/init.d/gpm ) and X (look at etc/X11/XF86Config)
by pointing to /dev/mouse. Then only change you need to do when switching mice
is the protocol: [bm|ms] for gpm and [Busmouse|Microsoft(<-check please)] for X.
e.g. for gpm
     gpm -t bm   # -m is /dev/mouse is default.
or
     gpm         # ms is the default and mouse is the default too!

Check the sintax on the man page.

Hope it helps!

Lazaro <salem@rf.no>

P.S. Warning to other newcomers and busmice owners: The standard 2.0.6
kernel in the boot.bin 1996-07-14 disks does not include the module for
busmice). Under special-kernels/.. many of the 2.0.5 images do support the
busmice drivers as modules. The Config with whiche they were created is
there too. For me was easier to recompile :-)