RE: Do you use SLIP or a variant with Debian?

On 16:47:57 Mike Taylor wrote:
>>If so, I'd appreciate a short note from you.  I'd like to know if you
>use SLIP because PPP is unavailable, more expensive, or otherwise
>inconvenient.
>
>Thanks
>Mike
Yes, I do.  At home I use SLIP (slattach) to connect two other machines
(both running MiniLinux :) to my Debian box.  Also, I do use SLIP to
access our network at work.  Actually I use both for that, but since some
of the terminal servers I have there do not support PPP I use SLIP.  The
only real advantage I see with PPP is its a bit simpler to configure as far
as the provider of the connection is concerned.  The protocol does the
work, for the most part.  Not so with SLIP.  For the uses I make of it the
authentication is not an issue, nor is the support of protocols other than
tcp/ip.  So I use SLIP.  As for the Debian box, the changes with PPP and
its implementation on Linux over the past two years have been a little
difficult at times, but once its working, its fine.  The real advantages it
offers over SLIP are not very important if you don't need or use them.
Performance wise, there's little difference.

Paul