Re: Debian Color-ls Command?

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, Chris Westwood wrote:

> This may be one for the Debian FAQ--apologies in advance if you've been
> there before--but I haven't seen an answer to it yet.
>
> I switched from Slackware (2.3) to Debian just a couple of days ago, and
> can't seem to get color (that's *colour* here in the UK) listings by
> default. Simply typing "ls" gives me the standard white on black, but I'd
> really like to be able to distinguish at a glance between files and
> directories etc. Using the "color-ls -o" command is the only way I can
> achieve this, and even then the colors are ugly defaults, ignoring the
> settings in /etc/DIR_COLORS. (These dircolors settings are displayed
> verbosely on log in, by the way.)
[SNIP]
> I may be overlooking something obvious, but are there any settings/files I
> need to edit to get what I want? Color's the only thing I'm missing since
> switching from Slackware. In everything else, I'm delighted.

This is a now a FAQ because of a recent change:

With the integration of color-ls directly into the fileutils
package, a few things have changed.  dircolors no longer sets
up aliases or shell scripts to colorize ls, dir, and vdir.

Here is an excerpt from a .bashrc which sets up aliases after
running dircolors:

	# set up color-ls
	eval `dircolors /home/syrus/.dir_colors`
	alias d='ls -F --color=auto'
	alias v='ls -l --color=auto'
	alias vdir='ls -l --color=auto'
	alias dir='ls -F --color=auto'

Note that color=tty has been changed to color=auto.  See the
documentation for other change information.

Cheers.  Syrus.

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.