help ?

Hi,
My pentium is not booting after I installed Debian 1.1 (kernel 2.0.0).  The
system hangs after configuring the serial ports.  Here is what the last screen
looks like.

----------------
Running /etc/init.d/boot
.
ne loading device 'eth0'
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300, using irq 9
.
cdrom Module inserted ...
isofs ncpfs nfs nfs smbfs ipx                   # module nfs is loaded twice?
.
serial Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq=4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq=3) is a 16550A

Mounting local file systems...
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/sda2 on /user1 type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /user2 type ext2 (rw)

none: Host name lookup failure                 # But hostname was configured

Mounting remote file systems...
Local time:                                    # I chose "localtime" *

Cleaning up /tmp, /var/run and /var/lock ... done
Console setup:
   Linking /dev/console to /dev/tty0

Configuring serial ports....done.
/dev/cua0 at 0x03f8 (irq=4) is a 16550A
/dev/cua1 at 0x02f8 (irq=3) is a 16550A

-------------------------
That's it; here the system hangs.
I went over the installation procedure again, this time doing everything except
partitioning the two SCSI disks - the old scheme was retained.  After
configuring, I went into the shell instead of rebooting and checked some of the
boot scripts.  I am not familiar with shell scripts, but found one error in
/etc/init.d/boot : a chown command was wrong (chown root.tty ...); I changed
root.tty to root:tty, and rebooted the system.  It hung at the same point.

The first time I did the installation, I chose the "hard disk boot" option, but
this did not work.  It hung, searching for a disk in the FDD.  On inserting the
boot floppy, which too had been prepared, it booted, only to hang as mentioned
above.

I am not sure what other information would be useful, but here are some of the
hardware details.

Pentium 100 MHz
Two SCSI HDDs : SEAGATE ST5 1080N (1030 Mb each)
using Future Domain TMC-3260 (PCI) controller.
One 3.5" FDD
One ATAPI CDROM
NE2000 ethernet
Monitor is 14" SVGA colour

* India is 5h30m ahead of GMT; is it possible to set up linux to show Indian
Standard Time (IST)?

Can someone help?
Thanks.
Shankar.