what is -ltk looking for?

I am trying to compile the Embedded Tk source code and run into an error
when the compiler tries to link to the tk library (gcc ... -ltk ...)

Should I modify that to specify the particular version of the library to
look for. I do have the tcl74 tcl75 (current pointer) tcl75-dev, tk40 tk41
(current pointer) and tk41-dev packages installed.

While I have compiled a few programs using make, I am clueless so far
about it (but want to start figuring it out), so my question is the
broader one as well... if I have -ltk in the command line for gcc, what
specific file will gcc look for?

--
David Morris  bweaver@worf.netins.net
---