Re: perl

On 23 Aug 1996, Ed Donovan wrote:

> Andy Dougherty <doughera@fractal.phys.lafayette.edu> writes:
>
> > Perl uses 'csh' for filename globbing (that is, for <*.*> sort of
> > constructs.)  Yes, that's strange behavior, and the dependency probably
> > will eventually be removed, but not anytime soon.
>
> But, but...I thought it was noted, here or in the bug reports, that the
> csh-usage was an optional include, and was being taken out.  Maybe this
> is a Debian stable/unstable issue?, because my current perl, and the
> current rex/binary-i386 Packages file say:
>
> Package: perl
> Version: 5.003-2
> Pre-Depends: libc5, libgdbm1, libdb1

It is possible to configure perl such that it doesn't require csh.
Running

	/usr/bin/perl -V:d_csh

shows that Darren has, in fact, done just that (for perl5.003-02),
so that for perl5.003-02, you don't need csh.  It may well be the case
that it was needed for previous versions such as the original user
was wondering about.

My remarks above (about removing the use of csh from Perl) were actually
referring to the upstream perl sources, though I see that's certainly not
obvious.   Sorry for the confusion.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu
    Dept. of Physics
    Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042