Contents of a package? (was deb-view.el)

Good job with deb-view.el! This is by all means a useful tool. For a next
version: it would be great to have an entry in crypt-build-encoding-alist so
that opening any .deb from emacs goes through your processing. After all,
crypt++ is provided with w3-el. This might annoy people that download .deb
files through ange-ftp though, unless you manage to get the writing routines
right...

On a related subject, I have the following problem: I am eagerly waiting for
the next release of USSLite, which should fully support my MAD16 82C930
soundcard. I tried downloading the tar.gz from the author, but failed compiling
my custom kernel with it. No hurry, I'll wait...

However, the question is: how do I know which kernel-source.deb contains which
USSLite version... Is there a way around downloading a 6Mb package, just to
read one filename? Although less acute, I guess this type of problems must
occur with other packages too (eg: what is the version number of chat in a
given ppp.deb package?)

Amities,

		Jean Orloff
+Tel:(33)50.09.16.75   Fax:(33)50.09.94.95   http://lapphp0.in2p3.fr/~orloff/+
"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in
the country."
Mayor Marion Barry, Washington, D.C.