Re: 1.1 Install problem

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Kevin Murphy wrote:

> hda: read_intr: status = 0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error}
> hda: read_intr: error = 0x40 {UncorrectableError}, LBAsect = 2247884,
>                                                      sector = 131084
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:04, sector 131084 Kernel
> panic: EXT2-fs panic (device 03:04): read_inode_bitmap: Cannot read inode
>                            bitmap_block_group = 8 inode_bitmap = 65542

.
.
.

> The motherboard is very new and has a fancy AMI BIOS.  It has a built-in
> PCI IDE controller, and the BIOS setup allows you to tweak settings for the
> IDE, like LBA mode, block mode, 32-bit mode, and PIO mode.  During the
> installation, LBA mode was on, block mode was on at 8 sectors, 32-bit mode
> was on, PIO mode was auto, which meant the machine was coming up with PIO
> 4.  I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I have had this happen to me when the PIO level was set too high.  Try
setting it manually to a lower value and work your way up the highest
functioning mode.

Cheers

Carlo

    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      segre@charlie.cns.iit.edu                      *