Re: "Netiquette" of requesting package updates

> >> I spend close
> >> to 50% of my Linux time using two programs, an editor and
> >> a WWW browser, and in both cases the current Debian version
> >> is several months out of date.
> >
> >Which editor and browser are you talking about?  Are you looking
> >at the "stable" or the "development" directory tree?
> >
> >I maintain the "netscape" package and it is right up to date.
>
> I was being purposely vague because I didn't want to single anyone
> out, but no, they're both popular text-only programs. One of
> them is behind by a minor version, the other by a major +  2 minors.

I suggest you contact the maintainer and (politely, of course) ask if
he/she is planning a new release soon.

Also, offering to take over the packages because you use them quite
extensively might be an idea.  The first time you create a new package
it will probably take half a day to a day, but gets much easier with a
little practice.  I can now build new packages in about 30 minutes.  Some
of the more complex ones (like gnats) will take more time.  Maintaining
existing packages is usually quite easy, however.

I took over cfengine because we use it here quite extensively and the
previous maintainer was not.  Since you use those two packages a lot,
you will probably be a good and responsive maintainer.

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )