Re: Help: need to fix ownership of /var/...

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996 Lazaro.Salem@rf.no wrote:

> Reposting message with slight modifications as I haven't got any answer yet.
> -----
> Hi,
>
> Some files under /var and /usr are normally owned by root:systemgroup
> were the string systemgroup above can be root, staff, adm , mail, news ...etc
>
> Q: Will the bootup break something if the ownership of /var/... are set to
> root:root instead?

In a word, yes, or alternately, you will leave gapping security holes.
If you have a friend with a working linux box, ask him to
do a find / -ls > trashfile, and mail you the results.
You can then construct a script that reads this file, and executes
chmod/chown as appropriate.

Alternately, start over with a clean root file system.

Sherwood Botsford |Unsolicited email that advertises commercial
Physics Dept      |activities will consitute a request for
U of Alberta      |spellchecking of all words of less than three
Edmonton, AB,     |characters.  I charge $US500 for this service.
T6G 2J1		  |There is no warranty of correctness of this service.