RE: Non-existent .deb's

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Ninoles, Fabien: DGSE wrote:

> But, this method does not use the descriptions, or dependency lists,
> either.  I kind of like that information, as it allows me to see if I'm
> trying to install something I don't have the extra files for.

It's fairly easy to generate your own Packages files from what's
installed on your drive.  Download the files /debian/indices/override*
and just run `dpkg-scanpackages binarydir overridefle [pathprefix] >
Packages'

binarydir is the name of the binary tree to process.  overridefile is
the name of the override file.  Use the appropriate one from the set
you just downloaded from the indices directory.  pathprefix is an
optional string to be prepended to the Filename field.

The experimental dpkg 1.3 in project/experimental has an actual manpage
for this command.  (no way!)

If you're mastering CDs, btw, it's a very very very good idea to
generate your own Packages files.  The Packages file can be as much as
24 hours out of sync with what's actually on the site.

Guy