Re: /tmp, /var/tmp (was: Debian Quirks?)

> > > Several programs seems to prefer /tmp over /var/tmp.

Bruce:

From: Pete Harlan <harlan@mymenus.com>
> I believe the way to do it is to have /tmp be a real directory in the
> root filesystem, and then mount a larger filesystem over it later.

That is neater in that it assures that there is always a valid /tmp
directory. However, Debian is designed so that the symbolic link will
work correctly as long as your /var/tmp doesn't come from NFS. See the
order of actions in /etc/init.d/boot .

Older Linux installation documents suggested you make about 7 disk partitions:
/ /usr /tmp /home, and so on. This facilitated mounting a filesystem on
/tmp. In my 1.1 installation notes, I just have the users make one filesystem
for simplicity's sake, and the resulting system does not seem to be any less
robust, going by the number of complaints. Of course the user can get fancy
once they know what they are doing.

	Thanks

	Bruce