vfat/msdos depend on fat

I compiled a custom kernel last night, and made fat, msdos and vfat all
modules. msdos and vfat depend on fat to operate, and it seems that
/etc/modules gets processed later than mounting all file systems;
vfat gets inserted before fat, and hence doesn't work. I notice that
the precompiled Debian kernel compiles FAT support in, not as a module.

Is there any way to fix this for me besides recompiling the kernel?

Also, is a package of a later kernel [2.0.13 for example] in the works,
with NFS fixed? I'm back with 2.0.0 now because I need NFS.

thanks,
Hamish