#1, make it boot. Engage.

My number one stumbling block with Linux seems to be making it boot.

I've a kernel on the /dev/sda2 partition in the /boot directory,
and it's called vmlinuz.   My boot partition doesn't seem to be set
correctly, because it's not booting /dev/sda2 as root.  Instead, it
displays "Loading Linux ....", then "boot: " and then
and the lilo.conf file, but am not sure how to get the boot sector
configured correctly if I can't boot.   Is there any solution to this
dilema?

Charles