Re: Solved: mouse problem (running both gpm and X)

Mark Phillips writes:

> You may recall I posted, complaining that I had to kill gpm before I
> could get X to run.  I solved the problem by changing the mouse device
> over to /dev/ttyS0 (whereas before it was /dev/cua0).  Now things work
> fine!
>
> Am I right in thinking that the cua devices are now obsolete and that
> ttyS devices are the way to go?
>
> Mark.

This is sort of right.  /dev/cuaxxx are in most cases the wrong choice
because they implement kernel level locking.  What was happening was
that once one process (gpm) opens /dev/cua0, the kernel does not allow
another process (X) to use the same device.  The /dev/ttySxx are
specifically not designed this way.  They are designed with the idea
that intelligent programs will take care of their own locking (which
gpm and X do nicely) so more than one program can share the same
devices.

Erv

--
                                ____