Problem with man?

Sorry for the line wraps, but I get this when I try to look
at a man page.  And catman just sits there and does nothing!
Anybody?

# man man
man: command exited with status -1: /bin/gzip -dc
'/var/catman/cat1/man.1.gz' |
{ export MAN_PN LESS; MAN_PN='man(1)';
LESS="$LESS\$-Pm\:\$ix8mPm Manual page $MAN_PN ?ltline
%lt?L/%L.:byte %bB?s/%s..?e (END):?pB %pB\\%.."; most; }
#

Thanks in advance

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.