Re: telnet acces for root ?

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Tim O'Brien wrote:

> >I've set up a test PC with Debian 1.1 and want to
> >administer it remotely but am refused a telnet connection
> >as root ... is there a way around this ?  Do I have to give
>

> The way I handle this problem is log in under my account and type
>
>         su root
>
> Then it'll ask for the root password and bada-bing! You're root.
>
> Hope this helps!
> Tim

I use a program called "op" that works like "super".  Its
not quite as quick as "bada-bing" its more like "bada-bing
bada-boom" but there's much to be said about this mechanism.

It provides accountablility, more granular control over
rootly power, etc.

Bye ...

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.