Re: telnet acces for root ?

> I've set up a test PC with Debian 1.1 and want to
> administer it remotely but am refused a telnet connection
> as root ... is there a way around this ?  Do I have to give
> root privs. to a named user or can I enable telnet
> connections as root ?

Generally, it is better for people to login with their regular
id and then either do "su -" or use 'sudo' for privalidged work.
The reasoning behind this is that "root" is a known user and
thus more vulnerable to cracking attempts over the net.  By
forcing login with a regular userid, a cracker must first learn
that userid and then crack two passwords to get root access.

                                        Brian
                               ( bcwhite@verisim.com )