Re: Some initial problems

> I suspect TERM is set to con80x25 in the kernel.  I found it being reset in
> dinstall, which comes on the Debian boot disk and root disk.  (You mentioned
> the base disks, not the boot and root disks, but I assume you also got the
> boot disk and root disk. ?)

Yes, I have. I chose Color-Install from the initial root-Disk menue and followed
the NEXT-Menuitems most of the time - means: I initialized&mounted the swap
Partition that is used by my slackware-Installation, too. I initialized and
mounted (as "/") one of my linux-native Partitions and followed the
install-procedure up to the point where lilo is going to be installed. At this
point I left the installation-procedure and added the new root-Partition to my
slackware-lilo.conf (and ran lilo).

As far as I understood the initial contents of my debian-root-partition, with
the next boot-time root gets automatic-login on the first virtual terminal (via
inittab) and /root/.profile starts /root/.configure - right?

> The script dinstall looks as if it sets TERM to linux if you choose Color
> installation just after you've inserted the boot disk.  It sets TERM
> to linux-m if you choose Monochrome installation.  It doesn't set TERM
> at all if you choose neither, but simply to continue with the installation
> without specifying either Color or Monochrome.

I repeated the installation-procedure to avoid posting a false-alarm to the
mailing-list. Both times I chose color - and both times TERM was set to
"con80x25" when .configure called dselect :-(

> Then TERM gets set to linux again when you "configure" the system.  This
> includes:
> -- writing /etc/root.sh to /target/root/.configure,
> -- writing /etc/setup.sh to /target/sbin/setup.sh,
> -- configuring the keyboard (which is where TERM is set to linux), and
> -- configuring the timezone.
>
> If you chose neither Monochrome nor Color installation, and if you somehow
> interrupted the process while you were setting up your keyboard, then
> linux would have remained set at the value given in the kernel.

The most disturbing thing is now that I have to set TERM to a valid value
manually even after configuring the system.
Where is this variable set on a correctly conifgured debian-linux-system?

Jens Peter.