xanim & NAS (was Re: xanim being uploaded to distribution)

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Shaya Potter wrote:

> I currently do not have an account on master.debian.org, but I have
> sent Bruce Perens the files, and he has been kind enough to upload
> them for me, so they should be appearing on the mirrors soon.

great!  useful program...

does it do it's own sound i/o, or does it use the Network Audio System?
(debian package nas 1.2p4-1)

I downloaded a pre-compiled binary from sunsite a few months ago (so i could
view mpegs etc directly from netscape).  i like the program, but in order to
hear any sound, i had to disable NAS with '/etc/init.d/nas stop'

does this version use NAS?

Alternatively, is there a version of NAS which transparently allows
NAS and non-NAS access to the sound card (possibly via a kludge like
replacing the /dev/audio device node with a named pipe)

Craig