Re: what files does dselect/dpkg use to discern choices?

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
> I need to do something similar.    i asked Ian Jackson (dpkg's author) about
> it but he seems quite disinterested in the idea.

Mmm, no I think he's just got plenty of other things to worry about at the
moment.  He seemed to give you the information you needed to try getting
this to work - but of course if you want any support for this in dpkg you'll
have to do it yourself.  :-)

> 5.  take a copy of the file /var/lib/dpkg/status.
>
>         cp /var/lib/dpkg/status /tmp
>
> 6.  now this is where it gets tricky.
>     for every package listed in the status file, there will be a "Status:"
>     line.  You need to change every line which contains "Status: install
>     ....." so that it reads "Status: install ok not-installed".
>
>     the following sed script is a good starting point for doing this
>     automatically.
>
>     sed -e 's/^Status: install..*/Status: install ok not-installed/' </tmp/stats >/tmp/status.new

Mmm, why should they all be "not-installed"?  Won't some of them be
installed by the base system on the new machine?  I don't know what will
happen if you tell dpkg that something that's already installed now isn't -
e.g. what will happen with all its files, etc.?  Shouldn't be too hard to
write a slightly more sophisticated script that just alters the relevant
desired state (first) fields of the new status file.

Anyway, if you give this a try, I'd be interested to know how it goes.  I'd
be interested in giving it a try myself sometime, but time, time...  :-)

				Warwick

Warwick Harvey                                    email: warwick@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Department of Computer Science                        phone: +61-3-9287-9171
University of Melbourne                                 fax: +61-3-9348-1184
Parkville, Victoria, AUSTRALIA 3052     web: http://www.cs.mu.OZ.AU/~warwick