new to debian; some questions

I'm switching over to debian from red hat. I've not used it much yet,
just a quick install to get the feel of it, but I do have some questions.

Is there shadow password support for debian yet? (Or PAM?)

Does debian use the "user groups" system that redhat uses, that makes each
user be in a group containing only themselves, so the umask can be set to
002? I see in /etc/group that each user does get placed in their own
group. But I see in /etc/profile that the umask is set to 022.. Can I
change that to 002 safely?

Does dpkg have any way to verify a package? If anyone's familiar with rpm
-V, that's what I'm looking for.. something that can list what files in a
package have been modified since it was installed. I think I'm out of
luck here :-(

--
#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj -RSA-3-lines-PERL-
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1#     Joey Hess