diald

> Does anyone know how to get diald to work? I'm almost there; I can get it to
> do it's thing, dial, connect to my ISP, start sending data, but after about
> 30 seconds, diald kills pppd, and reports that it has timed out waiting for
> ppp to connect. :/ Since I was in the middle of receiving an html document
> from the web, I'd say it's safe to assume that pppd was already connected.
> Anyone got any ideas how I can cure this VERY annoying problem?

Take a look at /etc/ppp/options.  Almost everything should be commented
out--when using diald, it seems to work best if ppp gets its options straight
from diald.  I was having a similar problem, and it turned out my ppp options
file had a "connect" line in it that was causing two chats to be running at
once, fighting over the line.  Also, use the "defaultroute" option if you
haven't already turned that on.

The default diald options file seems to be set up for something like an ISDN
connection, where setting up the connection only takes a couple of seconds.  I
changed all the timeouts to be 5 - 10 minutes, and that seems to work well.

If those simple fixes don't help, turning on debugging for all the pieces
involved (pppd: debug 1 and kdebug 1, chat: -v, diald: debug -1).  This
generates quite a pile of output, but I found it very helpful in getting diald
to work.  Now, except for some annoying intermittent problems with chat, diald
is working perfectly, and in combination with ip masquerade, I've got two Macs
and a Pentium Pro happily sharing one modem.

-Randy
--
http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~gobbel/

NOTICE: I DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL EMAIL MESSAGES OF ANY KIND.  I
CONSIDER SUCH MESSAGES PERSONAL HARRASSMENT AND A GROSS INVASION OF MY
PRIVACY.  By sending unsolicited commercial advertising/solicitations (or