chat bugs

I installed Debian Linux 1.1 on my new Pentium Pro a couple of weeks ago.  so
far everything mostly works great, but I've noticed that the chat program
seems to have a number of problems:

- If I put ABORT "NO CARRIER" in my script, it sometimes erroneously aborts
  when it sees a "CARRIER 28800" message (but works most of the time).

- If I put "quiet" flags (\q) on both my username and password strings, it
  only recognizes the first one, i.e., it puts my password into the log file!

- I tried to put a second "TIMEOUT" string into the script, to make it shorter
  after the initial prompt was detected, but instead of taking it as a timeout
  directive, it just looks for the string "TIMEOUT" coming over the
  connection.

Has anyone else noticed similar problems?  I'm going to take a look at the
source, and will fix the bug if I find it.

-Randy
--
http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~gobbel/