Re: getting the mouse to work

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Mark Phillips wrote:

> >When installing gpm, I set my mouse device to /dev/ttys0... Then, I =
> >pointed everything else that wanted a mouse device to /dev/mouse.  =
>
> What is the difference between
>
> /dev/ttys1, /dev/cua1 and /dev/mouse (a soft link)
>
> and when should each be used?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark Phillips.  (mark@maths.flinders.edu.au)

Mark,

This is an old explanation that I'm not sure still holds
true, but ...

A cu device is for DCE devices (Data Communications
Equiptment), basically modems, etc.  A tty device is for DTE
devices (Data Terminal Equiptment), basically terminals,
serial input devices (mice), etc.  The /dev/mouse should be
a link to /dev/ttyxx where xx is probably S0 or S1, etc.
You don't need to have /dev/mouse to have the mouse work,
its just there to conveniently identify the mouse port.

I hope that's helpful, and if anybody knows a better, more
modern explanation, please do :-)

Good luck!

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.