Re: The "*" character (was: Latex )

Hi Mark --
You asked:
> because I'd said:
> >It would be helpful if you could tell us what version of the packages
> >you have installed.  For example, if you would run this commands:
> >
> >      dpkg -l *tex*
>
> I noticed that this doesn't work under tcsh, but does work under
> bash.  Is there a difference between how the * character is treated
> under the two shells?

What I'd written was actually not right for either shell.

I should have written:

         dpkg -l "*tex*"

The problem is that without the quotes, the shell expands the argument
first, before handing it to dpkg.  If there's a file in your current
directory with a name that matches *tex*, then that file, and only that
file, is fed to dpkg.  This is not what's intended of course.

So I tried the correct usage (with the quotes) under tcsh and it worked
fine.

Cheers,
Susan