Re: gpm and X mouse conflicts

>> When I try to run startx, it dies complaining that:
>>
>> Fatal server error:
>> Cannot open mouse (Device or resource busy)
>>
>> I then kill gpm and startx works fine.  How can I get both to work
>> together?  I could do this under slackware.
>>
>Read the man page for gpm. I think you want the -R option and some setup
>in X to use /dev/gpmdata.

I read man, and it seems that the -R option is designed primarily for
bus-mice and I quote:
      "-R     Causes  gpm  to  act  as a repeater: any mouse data
              received while in graphic mode will be produced  on
              the  fifo  /dev/gpmdata  in  mouse-system protocol.
              This means that you can configure the X  server  to
              use  that  fifo  as  a mouse device. This option is
              useful for bus-mouse owners to override the single-
              open  limitation. ..."

But my mouse is a normal, MouseSystems compatible, serial mouse.
Surely I shouldn't have to use the -R option?  I didn't have to under
slackware.

Thanks,

Mark Phillips.  (mark@maths.flinders.edu.au)