Re: Samba and alternatives for Linux network printing

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Rick Macdonald wrote:

> But, since the Win95 system is a notebook that comes and goes, is there
> some device that could make the printer a network print server not
> attached to either
> PC? That way, I could print from Linux even when the notebook was
> detached.

Sounds like you can either (1) attach the printer to the linux server
or (2) purchase an external lpd print server for the HPLJII (the internal
card sold by HP would also work but requires more setup on the UNIX box and
may cost more). HP sells JetDirect EX units which act as lpd servers and
there are others out there as well (e.g. milan).

If the 2 machines are close, you could also just use a parallel switch -
I know they're not very sexy anymore, but they do work.
Don Gaffney (http://www.emba.uvm.edu/~gaffney)
Engineering, Mathematics & Business Administration Computer Facility
University of Vermont - 237 Votey Building - Burlington, VT  05405
(802) 656-8490 - Fax: (802) 656-8802