Re: PPP link kills routing table

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Mark Phillips wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank's to all the people who have helped me recently.  Every time I
> solve one problem, another appears.
>
> I tried establishing a ppp link and found it didn't work.  To find out
> what was going on, I ran route and got:

What exactly happens when you try to run pppd? Any messages in
/var/adm/messages or /var/adm/debug?

[...]
> I tried several things to try and get it to work.  Previously ppp had
> worked when I had nothing in my /etc/modules file, so I tried
> commenting out the entries and rebooted.  PPP now works (as you can
> see by the fact that I am typing this), however I think ppp working is
> the result of a side effect: namely, that as a result my local
> ethernet network wasn't setup.  If I now type route, before running
> pppd, I get:

Remove the eth0 entries by using ifconfig and try to run pppd. It could be
as simple as an interrupt conflict between your ethernet card and the
serial port pppd is using.

I had that problem a while ago. My ethernet and my ppp link was mutually
exclusive.

/Bengt-Ove Johansson!