Re: aout svgalib problem

David Engel writes:
>Richard Kettlewell writes:
>>Jeffery S. Coy, Jr. writes:
>>>i just installed the aout-svgalib-1.28-6.deb package, and noticed it
>>>installs to /usr/i486-linuxaout rather than /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout, so
>>>the system can't find it.
>>
>>No, /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib is the correct place; I'd expect the
>>problem to be something else.  I don't really have time to maintain
>>the svgalib packages any more and it would be good if someone else
>>would take over.
>
>This is partly my fault.  In the last libc4 package, I moved libdb.so*
>from /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib to /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout.  I did this
>so users who didn't install any a.out development packages
>(eg. libc4-dev, aout-gcc, etc.) wouldn't have a /usr/i486-linuxaout
>directory cluttering up /usr.

Oh.  I wasn't aware of the change, though I think it a good one.  If
it was announced anywhere then I missed it.  It would have been a good
idea to tell the runtime linker to continue searching the old place,
though.  Doing this should be an adequate workaround for the time
being, I believe.

I think I've quite a bit of catching up to do on change file formats,
package uploads and so on, so (if no-one else does the job) it could
be a while before an updated version appears.

- Richard

--
http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/