Re: 3 Questions

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Mark Phillips wrote:

> It really is empty!!  I'll paste in what I did:
>
> # pwd
> /proc/3
> # ls
> /usr/bin/color-ls: exe: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/color-ls: root: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/color-ls: cwd: No such file or directory
> cmdline  environ  fd/      mem      stat     status
> cwd@     exe@     maps|    root@    statm
> # cat /proc/3/environ | xargs -0n1 | grep '^TERM='
> # cat environ
> #

Somehow I doubt the pid of your shell is 3.  Type 'echo $$'.  Use that
number as the pid.

> >> Why will the problem go away - what's wrong with using the "-detach"
> >> option?
> >
> >It'll still have a controlling terminal.  If you're using a shell
> >without job control (sh), it'll be in the same process group as the shell.
>
> But does this have anything to do with why the process regularly dies?
> Surely having a controlling terminal doesn't do any harm?

I thought it was dying because of SIGHUPs or something when you exited
the shell.  If it's dying for some other reason, check
/var/adm/messages.  I think there's some option you can set in
/etc/ppp/options to make it very verbose?

Guy